Thursday, September 25, 2008

First day of Soybean Harvest (& I haven't died yet.)



What I'm reading now:

Bread Alone: A Novel
By Judith Ryan Hendricks






I know that's foremost on your minds, right?
Nope, I'm still alive. A bit "barky" and "wheezie" but I think I'm going to make it. I don't feel like running any marathons just yet, but I was able to go out and help my Farmer yesterday afternoon get started on cutting soybeans.

So for the men in my readership (or anyone who enjoys big farm equipment); here is a photoblog of the first day of soybean combining:


Just getting started, after we took a sample to the elevator for moisture test. It's around 11 (which is good, they start docking payment at 13.5).


On the way back around the first pass.

Here he comes.


Notice that intense concentration focused on the reel.

Too focused to turn & wave?

And there he goes.

______________

And these 2 I was just playing with the settings on iPhoto.

(See.... complete concentration.)
Sorry about the weird reflection on this one.


Obviously I've been reading wayyyy too much of the Pioneer Woman's blog. And enjoying her photos and how she "tweaks" them. (http://thepioneerwoman.com/ )
It was a pleasant diversion. **mmmmm~~ Cowboys**

______________

I have to work at the magazine today. I'm not dying nearly as much as I was mid-week, but phone conversations will be interesting, now that I'm coughing and barking. Lots and lots of hot tea and peppermint tic-tacs. (did you know those will work better & quicker than a cough drop?)
Tonight more bean harvesting and maybe I can get that last coat of paint on the kitchen.
Or maybe it'll just be nap-time.


Have a Fantastic Friday!

Hugs!
Kay~

"....the celebration of work and the simple life... a true folk-festival that speaks the poetry of the turn of the seasons, the beauty of seedtime and harvest, the ripe product of the year - and the deep, deep connection of all these things with God."
~Ray Stannard Baker

3 comments:

  1. Hi,bean harvest over here in western NE...Boss will be taking
    the last 2 loads of Pinto beans
    to elevator this am....Now to get
    the winter wheat in on bean ground
    so it can get some growth before
    the winter comes blowing into the
    panhandle.....a beautiful fall
    here....Gram B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonezee sat and read about your new adventure at this moment. We REALLY need to get them together. They could talk farming, we could quilt and well...it would be divine.

    Keep the pics comin...and feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Farmer man is famous! LOVE IT! Now, if I can only get the Toadmiester in here to take a gander.

    Love the photo playing !! I gotta tell you though, once you get into it, it will become a new addiction!

    Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete