Sunday, October 19, 2008

How I spent my Sunday afternoon

It was a lovely day on the farm. We enjoyed a great morning in church & Sunday School. A quick bite of lunch in town and then home to recharge for the week ahead.


This is how I spent the afternoon and evening.



Counted the flock of wild turkeys on the hill behind us. There were around 2o+.





Helped Farmer-dear dig (ok he dug, I hunted) the last of the potatoes.
A nice haul for 3 1/2 short rows.


I just had to add this one, that Farmer-dear took of the cat. He rarely takes photos but my hands were muddy from the potatoes so he took this one and the one of the potatoes. The cat looks frustrated because we wouldn't feed her.
There are mice in them there buildings! Go forth and earn your keep!

We enjoyed the Autumn colors behind her too.

Shortly after the potato dig, we spoke to the married ds & family. Miss KMA is now a "big girl" too, just like her twin sister!! Grammie will be sending the "Congratulations" tee-shirt to her tomorrow. It's the little things that make life exciting, right?

And then....


I made this table runner.

I finally got to sew! It has been MONTHS since I've done anything other than mend with my machine. My VDH sent me down to "have fun" this afternoon and I wasn't about to let the opportunity pass by.
But I was in a dilemma on what to do. I didn't want to start a huge project today. I needed to see some accomplishment. I have plenty of WIP without adding another. (works in progress) And I wasn't in the mood to just cut out the pieces for my BFF's anniversary quilt.

Then I spied the bag of goodies from the quilt shop in Ohio. I had forgotten all about them. Inside the bag, I found this pattern and some fat quarters. I added in the novelty fabric from my stash and started cutting. I had to do some creative cutting since fat quarters are not the same as 1/4-yard cuts, and had to frog-stitch (rip-it, rip-it....get it? lol) a seam or two and had to repress a few seam allowances. I took my time and didn't stretch the bias edges on the triangles. A first for me! Usually my edges end up wavy and wiggly. And within a couple of hours I had the top done!
It'll take a few more evenings to get it sandwiched, quilted and bound but I hope to have it down by next weekend.
BTW, can you spot the "mistake" in the runner? Personally I think it adds interest and movement to it.

And that is how I spent this lovely, relaxing Sunday afternoon and evening. I hope yours was just as nice.

Have a great start to your week tomorrow.
Hugs!
Kay~
––"A Sunday well-spent brings a week of content." ~Anonymous

7 comments:

  1. Wow Kay! Youve been busy! I enjoyed dropping by your neck-of-the-woods and reading about your Sunday afternoon. I love your quilting! I used to quilt a lot and then I got doing other things and haven't quilted in several years. That's a bummer. I love your site. It's great. Thank you for stopping by my neck-of-the-woods too and I hope you will visit again.

    Susan
    http://www.raisin-toast.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kay!
    Sounds like the perfect day to me. I grew up on a farm and keep chickens in suburbia now. The quilt table runner is gorgeous. I sew but I have never tried quilting, too intimidated by all those tiny pieces! THanks for stopping by my blog, I love meeting new people:>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!! And thanks for the birthday greetings! The fall weather looks great - I miss Nebraska in the fall! It's FINALLY getting cooler here - yea! I hope to do some quilting again in the next few weeks. Haven't forgotten your socks either - haven't been able to knit much while recooping from the surgery/infection...hard to knit on drugs! That frogging is near and dear to my knitting/quilting heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You would have to point out the mistake to me cuz I sure don't see it.... Not that I know what I'm looking for. I don't quilt.. I just cover up with quilts that my mom made years ago..
    I love the colors on your table runner too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why don't you come take a trip to my part of GA and teach me how to sew? I have had my machine for going on four years and have used it three times - all to mend. The Man Beast is not very happy with me at the moment...lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for such a lovely blog. You def. made me smile. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful, I love the idea of being sent to sew.
    I did try to grow potatoes once, in half a wooden barrel, they were pretty tiny but they grew and we ate them.

    ReplyDelete