Friday, November 14, 2008

What is an organic turkey?


I've had several folks ask "What IS an organic turkey?"

Here is what I consider an organic turkey:


  • Organic farmers never use antibiotics, or synthetic hormones or pesticides in production. For turkeys, organic management starts the first day out of the egg.
  • The turkeys receive only 100% certified organic feed, grown without synthetic fertilizers or pesticides for a minimum of three years.
  • Organic turkeys are allowed to express natural behaviors such as scratching and hunting for bugs, and have regular access to the outdoors.

I'd even be ok if they weren't fed 100% certified organic feed. Turkeys that could be outside, living "normal" lives are what I want. No meds, hormones, etc.

So far, I'm coming up w/ zilch in my search. I have 4 more stores to call tomorrow, all in the city. :o\
I'm thinking it's too late to order one online.
(Is it THAT important? To me it is....if I'm responsible for feeding my family, I want it to be healthy and not harmful.)


Ok, off my soapbox for now. :o)

Hugs!
Kay~

––"It would be nice if the Food and Drug Administration stopped issuing warnings about toxic substances and just gave me the names of one or two things still safe to eat."
~Robert Fuoss

5 comments:

  1. Ha! I almost suggested that you enlighten the rest who might be afraid to ask what 'organic' is. Stay tuned. I'll have tons of blog-worthy questions for you - so much in fact, you might just dread hearing from me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh BUMMER Miss Kay! We have 2 organic turkey farms right close to home! They don't ship them though.... :oC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have wild turkeys where you live?? Can't get much more to nature than those...
    Louise from Alberta, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  4. No worries... I found it!! and at the previously "worthless" Hy-Vee store. Today they had them when I called. I only saw 2 in the case- a BIG one (28lbs) and the 12lber I got.

    They may not ship them, but YOU do, right, Sparkie?

    Louise, we have a big flock of 20+ wild ones who roam around our farm. But that would mean I'd have to clean it. Nope...not happening. lol

    ReplyDelete