Monday, July 13, 2009

The good, the bad and the ugly

*(cue the theme music)*

The Good.....


5 pints of pickled beets and 11 half-pints of sweet pickle relish.


The Bad....


Boiling water in the canner creates Steam..... (this is not my kitchen-- found image)

and the Ugly!


(see the blisters? Gave myself a big steam burn. I do know better... "lift the lid away from you.")

On the "Good" note-- all the jars "pinged".
And the satellite tech was able to hook up our DVR (after some initial confusion) & I'm already recording one of my shows. Farmer-dear will have his tv tonight.

On the "getting better" note-- Farmer's work car that died on his way to work (and I had to stop everything to go get him), is being picked up by the repair shop. Praying it's an inexpensive fix.
And my arm, while it looks nasty and stings; doesn't feel as bad as it did and I'm not shaking and upset anymore.

What an interesting day, it's been.....


One-armed hugs,
Kay~

** "Each thing that takes place, whether it be fortunate, unfortunate or
unimportant from our particular point of view, is a caress of God's."
~Simone Weil~

6 comments:

  1. Ouch! I've had burns that bad before. I find it helps to keep it in cool water for several hours. I actually slept part of a night on the couch with my arm dangling off the side into a cooler full of water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! This will sound weird but put mustard on the burn (Make sure it contains turmeric.) My massage therapist from Brazil shared that home remedy and it worked amazingly when I spilled boiling water on myself. I first cooled the burn with cold running water and then applied the mustard, cold from the fridge. The pain began to lessen almost immediately and it didn't even blister. By the next day all traces were gone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes. I hate when that happens. Hubby always gives me that look when I get myself. Feel better. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well good Lord, honey! You need to be more careful. Perhaps this is why I spend a limited amount of time in the kitchen - I am the queen of accidents. :(

    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch--steam burns HURT! Glad to see you around again...stop over for a visit soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OWWWWWW. I have yet to give myself a steam burn when canning. I've burned myself every OTHER way (on burners, on pans, on oven doors, etc., etc. etc.--apparently, I'm a very clumsy cook), but never with steam. I'm not planning on adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete