Friday, August 28, 2009

Peaches & Tarte Tartins


I have wonderful, if sneaky, neighbors. One of them left these awesome, Nebraska-grown peaches on my front stoop. But no note, so I don't know who to thank. And I can't recipricate with anything yummy from my kitchen. People around here are like that... they like to gift and act innocent. Random Acts of Kindness sometime run amok out here on the prairie.


Yum... Peaches. One of my favorite summer pleasures. I love stone fruit. Peaches, necterines, plums, apricots. I eagerly await for July & August each year so I can indulge to the fullest on the fresh fruit. I don't get the same pleasure from canned or frozen.

While the best way to eat a juicy peach is to just wash and eat (over the sink), sometimes I like to find a new recipe. Just for the fun of it.

There are only the two of us here now and I'm slowly learning to cook/bake for two. Not 4-8 people....which is what you have to cook for when 3 of the people are growing or grown men.
And since, in our getting older state, we don't need a lot of extra calories, I made just 2 individual desserts from some yummy peaches earlier this month.





(sorry, can't remember which magazine I got this from. Either Gourmet or Bon Apetite)


The Players-- Puff Pastry, peaches, almond flavoring, brown sugar (because I was not going to make caramel on a weeknight... or any other night for that matter. I just wouldn't.) Just imagine the egg and butter here also, please....sheesh~
And please notice my favorite knife. I would grab that second if we had a fire. (not really, but I do love it!)
And those cute, cute, cute tart pans!

See! Cute!

(and sorry about the photo quality below. It was totally operator -error.)



Slice up 2 peaches and place in the cute tart pans. (I sprayed them with cooking spray because those little dimples are a pain to wash!)
Sprinkle with a little almond extract and top with brown sugar.


One sheet of puff pastry, thawed and cut into squares. (again, notice the awesome knife!)

Gently tuck the puff pastry around the peach slices and sugar. Brush with egg wash and bake according to the recipe directions.


After the time spent in the oven, they come out looking browned and crispy and smelling yummy!

And after a short cooling time and a dollop of whipped cream (oh... ok, Whipped Topping), they are savored and ooooooed and ahhhhhhed over by moi.

Silly Blue-eyed Farmer forewent eating his, for some unknown, ridiculous reason and being the wonderful wife I am, I saved it for him and then it got moldy. That won't happen again. Someone, but not necessarily me, will eat my creations!

That was then and now I have a large baking sheet of getting-ripe peaches with whit to plan new adventures.

And soon it will be Nebraska apple time!

Until next time,
Hugs!
Kay~

** “Life is better than death, I believe, if only because it is less boring and because it has fresh peaches in it." ~Thomas Walker

1 comment:

  1. How could Farmer R not eat his? They look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete