Saturday, February 20, 2010

The best laid plans of women and quilters...


well, you know the song and dance I live by now....

I had plans for today, with my sewing machines and fabric and thread.

I told the Farmer of my plans. He agreed to my plans and told me to go enjoy myself.

And then my better nature & wifely guilt took over.... and I ended up going along to look at and buy 6 preggo cows from one of his co-workers; the one with the Bohemian accent that reminds me of my childhood days.

We got home and unloaded them and he said after I recorded their numbers and we let the baby and cow out of the barn, I could go sew. But first he needed to tag and band the little guy. And could I watch so the mother didn't go too nuts on him. Ok.... **sigh**

Then we notice a red cow up on the knoll in the lot had just had her calf. (Storms coming in will bring along babies.) Good job Mama Cow! All was well up there and so I went in, started the laundry, and got the ingredients out for the Cold-Oven Pound Cake I was going to make for Sunday School tomorrow. And then I was going to go down to the sewing room for an hour.

But I happened to glance out the window to see how Blue-eyed Farmer was coming along with his revamping some fencing for bedding areas and feeding areas.
Only he wasn't making fence, instead he was carrying the new calf towards the barns. So off I trotted to change back into a chore coat & boots & help him get this calf & it's mother into the barn.

And since it was starting to snow, he wanted to get a hay bale and more bedding for the herd and it would be a big help if I watched the gates and directed him as he put the feed bales in the right spots.

After a good hour of all that, I was getting too cold to be outside anymore. I had hurried out without a hat or scarf and my toes were numb. Plus I had that cake to finish up and we had had plans to go out for supper with friends & we needed to be ready to leave before 6 p.m. I hurried in and made that pound cake (which did not turn out) and was just getting ready to go out, when our friends called and said they were having calving issues at their place and needed to postpone.

With that change in plans, we settled in for a quiet evening at home. We found a quick supper for ourselves here and I did the laundry that I didn't get done earlier today and mixed up a second/different cake which just finished baking.

It is now 9:30 p.m. and not a single stitch was sewn today.

But we have a another new calf and its mother safe and warm in the barn; warm bedding down for the rest of the herd; 6 new cows to replace several we need to cull out later this spring.
We're fed, warm and have clean clothes for this coming week and we'll have cake to eat tomorrow.

Life is still good, even if I my plans did go all ca-flooey today.

Did your day go according to plan?

Hugs!
Kay~

** "There is never enough time to do everything,
but there is always enough time to do the most important thing."

~Brian Tracy~

3 comments:

  1. A day that actually goes according to plan.... hmmm... HA HA.

    Still, I'd love to turn back the hands of time and be living on the farm again. Those were the days!! The smell of fresh chop being made. Hay being mowed and baled and watching the lambs as they jump for the sheer joy of being alive. I miss the smell of the horse barn too. Sigh... maybe someday I'll have that again.
    Thjanks for the stroll down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can come here and smell the cows anytime you want. Bop

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we have days like that, My Beloved and I look at each other and say, "Well, we got the _important_ things done today."

    ReplyDelete