Monday, May 24, 2010

Summer came in like a lion





I know, March is suppose to come in like a lion or lamb, but March weather doesn't usually bother me as much as HOT, Humid Summer weather. Yesterday it was 88° and HUMID. Same weather forecasted for today and 80s all week. It's still May. This does not bode well for the rest of the summer.

I went rummaging through the sheds and found an old window. It's in worse shape than I thought, but it may still work OR I'll find a picture frame at the thrift store and use that. I also found a base from our old porch posts. Love it! It'll be a base for a pot or just "art" on the porch.

Speaking of porch posts. I found one of the original ones in the barn. I had the Blue-eyed Farmer move it from the tumble-down barn to the feed barn where it will be more protected. Now what should I do with it?
One I idea I had, was to keep it and then when we redo the kitchen, use it as decorative legs on the island.
In the mean time, I could prop it up on the porch in the corner and hang something from it. I'll muse on that a while.

I spent a delightful day last Friday with my dear Friend "Belle" (not her real name) at the Barn Festival near Hastings. We didn't buy much but oh the inspiration.
One idea she came up with for my office sitting area, was to use two of the old shutters (again, found in the barn), connect them and set them in the corner behind my big chair. Then to hand a quilt over the edge and I thought a small wreath on the other one.

I'm feeling the urge to paint more furniture. I have an old wooden chair out by the wash-house that needs something. The gardening sign on it is looking sad and needs a facelift. Manuela from The Pleasures of Homemaking blog had a tutorial on painting signs. I need to think of what to paint on this one and get at it.
And then there is this photo:


It has me aching to start painting my wicker furniture and find that old cream can down by the cattle lot or some other galvanized piece. I love this scene and the little dining area beyond. Oh my..... (sorry I can't remember where I found the photo. my bad!)

Blue-eyed Farmer informed me that he is going to have to dig up the rain gutter tubing under my east flower bed. Which means the peonies and day lilies have to be moved from it. **sigh!**
They were finally getting established. But I don't like the make-shift guttering system we have down on the patio either. And this bed backs the northern retaining wall and it needs some dirt filled in behind, so I guess it's time to do it. I just need to find a place for these plants. If I knew this would be a quick job, I'd just pot them, but I have a feeling it'll take a while. And none of my emptier beds are really ready for new plants. I need to amend the soil in them.

While Miss Belle and I were in Hastings we found a quilt/scrapbooking/beading shop, The Calico Cottage. Fun for both of us! She found scrapbooking papers and embellishments and I found 3 small wall-hanging kits. I was "good" and did not buy any yardage. One of my kits was "Harmony" by McKenna Ryan. I can't wait to get the whole set. I have the perfect place for them, here in the office.


(Harmony is the lower left corner block with the 2 birds.)


I did spend a little time down in my quilt studio yesterday and completed another block for "Brenda's Roses" and made up some more HST for it. One good thing about repetative blocks, you get better at making them. I've been taking my time and trying to perfect my 1/4" seam and being willing to "frog-stitch" anything that is not "right." I do know that I really dislike bias edges! I have one fabric that stretches like the dickens! So I've had to press it into obedience. If that doesn't work, I'm getting out the spray starch! lol

Saturday I had more quilting fun at the International Quilt Studies Museum in Lincoln. I went with a group from my church (Thanks again Daphne!). We went to see this exhibit from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. I never would have expected to see Ohio Star blocks in a quilt from that area of the world. It was a very interesting exhibit and more so since my friends Daphne and Sylvana are from Pakistan and could add their experiences to the presentation.

So all in all, I've had a lot of fodder for my "Muse" this past weekend. This week I will let it all percolate while I mow and pull weeds and plant plants and do bookwork.

Hope your week is just as inspiring!

Hugs
K~

** "An idea not coupled with action will never get any bigger than the brain cell it occupied." ~Arnold H. Glasgow

1 comment:

  1. The "harmony" set looks beautiful!

    Thanks for stopping by-I hope you try the sign making. It really couldn't be easier!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete