Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Random Thoughts on the post by cookblog: "The Pig Dies At Noon"

cookblog: "The Pig Dies At Noon": "That's what the email said, just to ensure that the more squeamish guests would be arriving around 5. "
I just read this post by Peter....  about the progress of going from a living pig to a pork dinner.  (Note to the "squeamish"... there are photos of blood and gore, so you may want to hide your eyes as you scroll down.  But do read it.)

I was also interested in this statement:
"... I was surprised that more people didn't want to see a bit more of the butchering, or at least talk about what went in to bringing the meal to fruition. As it was, nobody at all in the house seemed to have any interest at all in what we were doing, let alone a desire to learn or hear about what we did."

I'm on the other end of the food equation ... in the birthing end of the beef... well, not me actually birthing any beef,... *grin* ... but our being the care-givers and midwives(mid-husbands?). We see the start of what will end up in our freezer and stomachs. We watch it grow and mature and fatten, caring for it along the way. Also knowing that if we neglect our responsibility, we won't be eating beef this winter.

I wonder if more people are not interested in knowing how their meat gets to their tables, because as a nation, we have never really been hungry or in want. There appears to be food galore in our grocers... most people not knowing that your average store only has enough stock on hand for maybe 3-7 days and that is not for everything on the shelves. You can find food (or what is marketed as "food") in almost every kind of retail establishment in the country. (Even Farm Stores have candy and nuts and a pop machine.)

I wonder what would (will) happen if (when) there would be a break-down in the transportation grid and the trucks could not get to the warehouses or stores? What if a huge natural disaster happened or national emergency and we were required by law to stay in a small area for our safety? What if the food ran out?
What would you do? Rely on the government to air-drop food in? Or could you forage, barter, grow, hunt for your own?

Just some thoughts running through my mind today as we continue harvesting corn and as I have been helping with chores-- feeding the beefers and as I looked in my freezer for something to defrost for supper. I see my the end of my garden and look at the filled canning jars in my pantry.  I smile at my various "kitchen helpers"-- grain mill, stand mixer, dehydrator, vacuum sealer.  I pat the bags of wheat berries and cans of beans on the shelf.  I think about my neighborhood and how we share not only food but life lessons.  And I thank my Father God again for how much He has truly blessed us.

I'm interested in what you have to say about any of these thoughts....

Hugs,
Kay~

** Maybe a person's time would be as well spent raising food as raising money to buy food. ~Frank A. Clark

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read that blog, but I was thinking about the whole Lady Gaga's meat array and the total disconnect most people have with food. I've also been thinking more and more about the foods I grew up eating and the foods available in the grocery. All those unpronounceable ingredients. I am trying to get further and further away from those additives. And I'm making small progress. Finally my husband is thinking more frequently about growing our own food. We've got acreage enough.
    It is not a scary idea to me. This is what I grew up with: raising hens for eggs, eating beef and pork, vegetables and fruits we raised ourselves, foraging for seasonal wild things. Fishing and hunting.
    Even if we do not actively do these things all of the time, I think we'd be wise to practice them, learning to can/forage,etc.

    ReplyDelete