Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sewing and Family "Secrets"

I had a great time being a Secret (Prayer) Sister at our church in 2010.  It was hard to be sneaky since I live out of town and anything I mailed would have my unique postmark on it.  But in the end, my Sister didn't guess it was me, so it ended well.

Here is a photo of the Mug Rug I made her as a last parting gift.  Having never made one before, when it was completed, I decided it was a little large for a mug rug, but hopefully still worked for her.  Looking forward to making more this year as CEMs and other gifties.  (CEMs-- Christmas [gifts] Every Month... a way to get a jump on hand-made gifts throughout the year.)


I spent a good portion of the afternoon, today, listening to podcasts on my Mp3 player and stitching the binding down on BFF's quilt.  My goal is to have it done by next Sunday when she and I go to the Antique Flea Market.   I can't forget the label too!  (someone remind me...)

I also spent yesterday afternoon zigzagging around the fused applique on the blocks for Dgd3's quilt.  I didn't do too badly considering this is my first serious fused applique attempt.  (I've made caring quilt single blocks before.)  My old Kenmore has a decent sized zigzag stitch that is just small (or big) enough to cover the edge without being too noticeable.  I only have the stem and leaves left to do on 5 of the blocks.  

I got interrupted in the midst of my sewing, by a certain Farmer, but it's ok.  He had something "interesting" to show me.  He found some checks and bank statements from his grandfather's account, dating back to 1949-51 (just a few months from each year).  The later years were from around the time Farmer's dear-father was in Korea.  It was interesting to see Grandpa Hank used pencil to write and sign them all.  Grandma Marie did not sign a single one of these.  We think one was for when he bought the trailer we use for feed now.  And possibly several were for paying the hired harvest help when Dad-Norman was overseas.   

I love old family history stuff like this.  

I'm off to do a little more stitching and then off to the Land of Nod.  

Hugs
K~

** "Family faces are magic mirrors.  Looking at people who belong to us, we see the past, present, and future."  ~Gail Lumet Buckley

2 comments:

  1. The mug rug is perfect! And my favorite blue. What a talent you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your mug rug and the idea of CEMs. What a treasure your husband found with the checks. It makes our family history more real to us. I came here from Dawn's blog. I enjoyed visiting with you!

    ReplyDelete