Saturday, January 27, 2007

Did you Miss Me?

It's been a long 7 weeks, hasn't it?
Work got crazy right before and through the holidays; we went into heavy-duty cleaning mode here at home; the kids and grandtwins came for a visit; we had the flu, twice; Christmas and New Year's came and went, quietly for us; Rick recently had minor surgery, and I'm still doing the chores.

Winter has taken over the plains and brought cold temps and snow, twice, since I've been in charge of chores.
I love our change of seasons, but the older I get, the more I appreciate the warmer months.

Other areas of interest these days:

I recently renewed my Missus Smarty Pants subscription. In a nutshell, it is a site where you are shown what styles look good for your body type and what specifically you can find in stores, nationwide.

With my increasing maturity (ha!), I've finally realized I am never going to be a size 8 or less in this lifetime. It's time to Love Me for who I am Now! Which means taking the time to find the styles that show me in the best light and then actually spending the money on me. Not a lot of money, but not to only buy off the clearance rack, taking the leftover that aren't exactly right for me.

I've purchased ankle boots and a leather car coat; jeans that fit well and several tops that are more for my body type. I feel great wearing these new items.

Along with the new clothes, I've been hunting out new skin care items and make-up. Nothing too extravagant but lotions and cleansers made for my age and skin type.
I also found a brand of mineral make-up that I really like, available locally.
And soon I will get my hair high- and low-lighted. After all, I'm worth it. LOL

On the home front- I've been trying to keep the house up so I don't have to do too many major, all-out cleaning sessions just to get rid of the week's flotsam. Dh has been a dear in helping out with what he can manage... the dishes and laundry. I'm more of a fair weather declutter-er, so I'm putting off doing that until spring comes and I can work with the windows open and the breezes blowing through.

In the kitchen- I'm giving in to my inner foodie these days. Brie, olives, good bread, other yummy cheeses and garlic have all been on my menu.  Farmer-dear doesn't like any of this, except the bread, so we eat separate meals. He's happy and I'm happy.

Today I took the hard ends of a loaf of roasted garlic bread and made croutons. Tossed the cubed bread with 1/4 cup of EVOO, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1 1/2 tsp sun-dried tomato & herb seasoning, 1 tsp of "freshly" grated Parmesan cheese, some ground black pepper and a little kosher salt. Baked for 10-15 mins. at 350°. I'm looking forward to my next salad.

I also made a loaf of banana bread in order to use up some bananas that were fading fast. Over the past year I felt like I let alot of produce go to waste, so this year my goal is to keep better track of it and either use it or preserve it in some way (dehydrating, freezing, using in a recipe).

In the quilting studio-
I took 2 quilts to a friend who has a Gammil long arm quilting machine. One is pictured above my profile information. It is a sampler quilt that I made when I first got back into quilting 5 years ago. It's recipient is a secret for the moment.
The other quilt is called Christmas Chain Event, made from a Dorothy Young Designs pattern. It is a scrappy Christmas quilt made for my sister-in-law. I'll give it to her next year. I need to put the binding and label on first.
I have the material for a new quilt ready to cut. The fabric is all oriental/aisan in design. The pattern is entitled "Hatchet Hall Crisscross" and is also from Dorothy Young Designs.

Other WIPs are a Sunflower quilt that needs a binding; a lilac wall-hanging that needs to be hand-quilted; 2 more wall-hangings to piece and then quilt along with one that is pieced already. These all have destinations when they are completed.
There are so many other quilts I want to make. I was organizing some of the kits I have in the studio. Not to mention the numerous quilting magazines, books and patterns, that call my name from time to time.

I guess this is long enough for today. We are going out for prime rib with our best friends this evening and will come back here for laughs and dominoes.

I promise to be more timely with my blog posts from now on.

Stay Warm!
Kay on the farm

** "Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But Quilting is so delightful,
And since we've no place to go (or any way to get there)
Gonna sew, gonna sew, gonna sew "

--D. Feit

No comments:

Post a Comment