Sunday, February 24, 2008

Kolaches

Happy Sunday again Dear Readers!
The weeks just fly by, don't they? Here we are at another Sunday, after a busy week.


BAKING

I also made kolaches on Thursday, & was planning to take those to the class too.
This photo is from last July, but the method is the same. Make a Very soft dough, let raise, shape, let raise, fill and let raise a final time, then bake. As you can see I use Solo brand filling. I just wish our local stores carried the red berry varieties. Sieving the seeds out of raspberry pie filling is a pain.



Super Soft Kolaches
2 c. milk
1 c. butter (the real stuff)
1 Tb. shortening (or more butter)
5 egg yolks
1 whole egg (I used 3 whole eggs)
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
3 pkg dry yeast
1 tsp. sugar
Flour (up to 6 cups)
Heat the milk, add butter & shortening and cool to lukewarm.
Beat egg yolks & egg. Add sugar and beat until thick. Add salt.
Dissolve yeast & 1 tsp. sugar in 1/2c. warm water.
Add milk mixture to egg mixture, then add yeast mixture and beat until well combined.
Begin to add flour, 1/2 cup at a time. The dough will be VERY soft, but will come away from the sides of the bowl. Cover bowl and let rise until double, punch down and let rise again (I only let it rise once. I was in a hurry.)
Form dough in to balls about the size of a ping-pong ball. Let rise until almost doubled. Use your two first fingers to make a depression in the center of each dough ball and fill with about 1 tsp of Solo filling. Let rise again. Bake at 425 degrees until light golden brown. Cool on parchment paper.
May lightly ice with powdered sugar glaze. (I don't.)
Makes about 4 dozen.
NOTE on dough-- You will think you made it wrong. The dough is VERY soft, almost like too-thick batter. I flour the counter top when I turn it out of the bowl before I form the balls. It's a bit messy but don't add too much flour to dough or the kolaches will be dry.

Here is a container all ready to share with friends.







Have a wonderful week, everyone! I'll be back soon.

HUGS!
Kay~

"A hundred men may make an encampment, but it takes a woman to make a home."
-- Chinese proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment