Sunday, February 15, 2009

No-Knead Bread


(The extras for the Olive-Garlic-Parmesan-Rosemary version. I can't wait to eat this one!)



Happy Sunday Afternoon, Dear Readers!

The sun is shining, the temperature is 32° & the snow is slowly melting, I had a great time at church this morning and did I say the sun is shining?

I'm sorry I missed out on the Chili Cook-off at church today. It smelled wonderful but my poor Farmer is down with Another sinus infection. I really hated to leave but there will be a next time. We both are more than ready for Spring!

The No-Knead Bread has been baked and sampled. The first try was good but I know I can improve. The bottom crust was a tiny bit scorched and it was a bit, too springy of a dough? The second try of the original recipe is fermenting now. And the first try of the Olive-Garlic-Parmesan-Rosemary version is proofing the final time and will be baked this afternoon.

The recipe is from the January 2008 issue of Cook's Illustrated. (http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/detail.asp?docid=11841)
The site will probably ask you to log in, but you can sign up for a 14-day trial. I did subscribe because I go to that site all the time. It is a wealth of information. I have stopped my regular subscription and just get the bound yearly editions.

Farmer-dear really liked it and it makes great toast. Not your normal store-bought bread type of toast but more intense and with more gusto.

I will also be making 2 more loaves of my usual Honey-Wheatberry Bread tomorrow. I cooked up the wheatberries yesterday. I could do it today but I'm heading down to the sewing room in a few minutes. Or I'm going to sit in the sun in my chair and read. One way or another, I'm going to be happy.

Have a great afternoon!
Hugs,
Kay~
**“The smell of good bread baking, like the sound of lightly flowing water, is indescribable in its evocation of innocence and delight.” ~M. F. K. Fisher (1908-1992)


Find the recipe and my photos on My Recipe Blog HERE.

    6 comments:

    1. Just stopping in to say hi--you have not been over to visit for awhile! :) Your bread sounds yummy! Hope your dear farmer is feeling better!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I just found your blog because the word 'kolaches' caught my attention. Do you have the recipe somewhere on your blog? My MIL made wonderful kolaches but was hesitant to give me the recipe before she died. I will check in on your blog often. Susan

      ReplyDelete
    3. Farmchickie-- been there just not commented. :o)

      Susan--I don't have my kolache recipe on this blog, it might be on my old one. Be watching I'll post it soon. I have a "hankering" for some kolaches. Why wouldn't your MIL give you her recipe? I find it the highest compliment when someone wants one of my recipes.
      Please come back soon. :oD

      ReplyDelete
    4. I saving this whole tutorial. Thanks much!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Kay, thanks for answering. I will be watching for that recipe. :) As for my MIL--she was an excellent baker, a perfect baker and I honestly think she did not want the competition; as if I could have competed with her....

      ReplyDelete
    6. Susan: I found the recipe and photos on my old blog. Here's the addy:
      http://www.xanga.com/RicksFarmwife/644003667/baking-organizing-cattle-calls--i-love-vintage/

      Hugs
      K~

      ReplyDelete