Saturday, March 6, 2010

A week of cattle dealings

Happy Saturday Gentle Readers

I had hoped to post more this week, but it's been a week of cattle dealings and resulting tiredness.

We now have 6 babies playing in the lot. I love that sign of Spring. :o)
The bull and his companion are still in the south pen, enjoying their little stay-cation until late May.

Early Friday, at day-break, we were greeted with our little first-time heifer mommy in labor. I am so thankful Farmer-dear was still home. We watched and the poor thing did her best but it was soon obvious she needed some help. Unfortunately she did not realize we were that help. Off she went down the hillside to the edge of the pond. Poor thing.
Farmer went off for the pulling chains and I called the vet. We were able to get the calf out to the hips and that was it. The vet with his education and "know-how" was able to finish the job.
The calf was still-born. It was a B.I.G. calf for such a little mama. Why do heifers always have such big calves???
The vet gave her a shot of cortisone and left with the parting words, "Most guys have an inside place for calving." WHAT??!!
He had told me when I called to get her in a pen. Yeah, right. At that point we were lucky she was laying down where she was. It wasn't as if we wanted to have her outside in the cold, on the ice, having this calf. As Farmer said, if we had put her in when we thought she was first "close to labor", she would have been in the barn for 2 weeks. You cannot always tell with heifers and we don't have exact dates of conception, so we can't say for sure when they are going to go.

I felt that was a very rude thing to say. These are CATTLE, not pets, nor babied rare animals. God made them to bear their young Outside. I don't believe having her in the barn would have made one bit of difference to the outcome. The calf would have still been too big and we would have still had to pull it and it would have still been still-born.
The only difference is the vet wouldn't have had to walk from the house to the lot (twice) and wouldn't have had to work on her on the cold ground.
Yes, this was something that got under my skin and just reemphasized my lack of respect for most medical doctors (people or animal.) Someone needs to tell them, "It's NOT all about YOU!"

But then that's MY hang-up and not yours, dear Readers.

On a much happier note, I attempted to shoot some video of the new calves on Thursday when it was sunny and warmer. I will try to stitch it all together and will post it this weekend. I had a scene of my Farmer crossing the fence and talking but will have to delete that as he utters some wooden swearing that is just a little too colorful. Goofy man.

Now we're off to the chiropractor to ease our backs. Pulling calves is hard work for everyone involved.
And stay tuned for a new episode of "Kay, The Fainting Goat Diaper Cover-Maker." Everyone needs a calling. I guess this is mine.

Hugs!
Kay

** "Be yourself. Everybody else is already taken."
-- Oscar Wilde.

1 comment:

  1. looking forward to seeing the pics of your new arrivals.

    ReplyDelete