Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Random Wednesday


I didn't have a new photo for today, so I opened iPhoto, made the photos all small, closed my eyes, scrolled up and down and clicked.  I selected this photo from August 30, 2008.  

I love my Grain Master Mill and hard white spring wheat from Montana.  Yes, I'm a "crunchy" Christian Farmer's Wife, who mills her own flour.  We've even grown it and sold it, but when 2 of the 3 years were crop failures, we decided it wasn't worth the hassle of having it triple-cleaned and coordinating customers' pickups.

I hope to bake tomorrow or cook or do something fun in the kitchen and I WILL sew tomorrow, even if it's just for 15 mins.  

I've restarted my walking regimen, thanks to a dear friend who is hounding... encouraging me via text-messages.  2.5 miles for the week so far.  That east hill is a killer!  

And just a reminder, in honor of my 4th blogiversary, I'm showing my appreciation to all my loyal readers by giving away an Amazon Gift Card (denomination to be determined very soon).  Just Comment On This Post by 11:59 p.m. CST Nov. 8th.  I'll randomly draw a name and send out the gift card via snailmail, so be sure to give me some way of contacting you for your address.

And I'd love to know how you found my blog.


Hugs!
Kay~

** falling leaves
hide the path
so quietly

~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com

4 comments:

  1. I'll have to keep your grain mill in mind .. it's next on my list to save for. I hear wheat is going to go up in price .. and am looking to buy some soon. Living near Montana .. we have this brand all over town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. here in Michigan we grew some hard red spring wheat, organic, we took some to a mill and had it ground, I had been using an old grain mill a friend had. It was nice to have it ground at the mill, I have three different grinds-graham, whole wheat and unbleached. happy baking!
    I am curious though, your blog includes kolaches, do you bake them? I lived in a community where they were baked and learned how to make them, now they are a hit where ever I take them and of course I baked a whole bunch for our son's wedding reception!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam (also known as anonymous...lol): Yes, I do bake Kolaches. I haven't lately but it's on my current "To Bake Soon!" list. What is your favorite filling? Mine starts with Poppyseed, Apricot, Prune and Cream cheese...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raspberry and Apricot are the tops here, and I have a daughter who likes the nut filled ones. Not too many in the house like the poppy seed, but I always make some anyway. I am going to bake some soon for hire for a friend whose son is getting married in Dec. and for a bake sale at our church in a few weeks, so I better get busy. Do you make just the crescent shape ones or do you do others, I can remember making them with a bunch of ladies for my sister in law's wedding and they made all kinds!
    thanks for the 'reply', Pam

    ReplyDelete