Monday, April 4, 2011

Menu April 4-10, 2011

It is time for a spring-time menu.  While we are having a blustery and cool day today, it is supposed to warm back up to the 60s by midweek.  I have some left over chili in the fridge that needs to be frozen for another cool day in the future.  I need to start making meals that can “hold” until the Blue-eyed Farmer gets done with his farm work after sundown.
And I’m still trying to be more low-carb, so you will see some dual meals below.

Monday:  Homemade cheese & veggie pizzas, salad.  I’m going to make the dough early in the day and let it rise slowly, hoping for a more complex favored crust.

Tuesday:  Individual breakfast casseroles: eggs, sausage, biscuits, gravy, vegetables, cheese.  Fruit. 
I plan to double this and make some in muffin cups to flash freeze for quick breakfasts.

Wednesday: Grilled hamburgers, chips, baked beans, cole slaw. Baked Kale Chips for me and grilled veggies.
I may switch Tuesday and Wednesday depending on the weather.  I can’t wait to get the grill fired up again!

Thursday:  Spaghetti with meat sauce, garlic bread, salad.  Spaghetti squash with asparagus, mushrooms and peppers, salad. (brought over from last week)
The forecast is for rain on Thursday, so a favorite comfort meal will warm us.  I want to try making the sauce in the crockpot.  Usually my sauce is made on the stove-top, but I’m looking for some slower cooking/less attention needed meals.  We get so busy in the afternoons and evenings this time of year.

Friday:  Date Night for a good Fish Dinner.
Lent is almost over and the fish fries and specials will soon be over for another year.  We are busy the next two Fridays so I hope we can go out this week to enjoy a typical fish fry.  If we end up staying home, I have shrimp and salmon in the freezer for grilling or broiling.

Saturday: Lunch- Chicken strips and french fries. Cobb salad for me.  
Dinner- Oven-roasted root vegetables, bread sticks, salad.  Oven-roasted low-carb veggies, whole-grain crackers, salad or sauteed spinach.
Farmer will probably be doing farm work all day and will need a heartier lunch and supper.

Sunday:  Lunch will be fast.  We have dress rehearsal for our church’s Easter drama and I’ll need to be back to church quickly to help with the costumes.  Supper is always “catch as you can” on Sunday evenings.


Are you wondering how my Pantry Challenge is going?  Last week, I tried to only purchase dairy and produce.  I stopped at my natural foods store yesterday to get some Farm Eggs and picked up some marked down bakery breads: Jewish Rye, French and Wheat Germ.  I’ll double wrap those today and get them in the freezer.  I’ll serve the French bread with the spaghetti meal and the Jewish Rye if I make our seafood meal at home.  The wheat germ loaf will be an everyday bread for Farmer when we finish the loaves we have now.

Looking over my menu,  I anticipate having to get only loss-leaders and a some produce at the end of the week along with my usual dairy (yogurt and half-n-half.)
I’ll be watching for sales on the good canned baked beans; bbq sauce and the good hot dogs/brats for upcoming spring and summer meals.   I'll be looking for some quick healthy snacks for Farmer.  He takes a few minutes between getting home from the factory and going out to do his farmwork and I like him to recharge by eating something healthy (cheese & crackers, apple, homemade cookies, etc…)

How does your menu change in April?  Have you made out your Easter menu yet?  Drop me a line and let me know what you are cooking these days.

Hugs~
Kay

**  “The day the Lord created hope was probably the same day he created Spring.”  ~Bern Williams

2 comments:

  1. My menu is to cook big and eat lots of leftovers as we're usually busy calving cows.

    ReplyDelete