Monday, November 20, 2006

Cooking Week & Mennonite Fruit Salad Recipe

The Week for Cooking is Here!

Yes, it is the week that those who love cooking, wait for and those who don't enjoy it, dread.

I am in the former group. I love to cook. I'm an aspiring "foodie". It's hard to be a true foodie on a farmer's budget and living in the boonies with a meat & potato-loving farmer. Little by little I'm changing his mind and indulging in my "foodie" cravings. Fresh mozzarella has been the most recent splurge. mmmmm!!

My menu for Thanksgiving is as follows:

Roast Turkey
Baked Ham
Dressing
Mashed Yukon Gold potatoes & gravy
Gramma's Scalloped Corn
Fruit Salad
Either Sunshine Jello Salad or Crudities and dip
Homemade rolls
Pumpkin pie
Citrus pound cake

The men asked for both turkey and ham, so that is what we are having. It'll make for lots of leftovers and I won't have to cook all weekend. Especially since we are attending a second Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday.

This year I will be trying something different. Roasting a frozen turkey! According to those in the know, it works great.
Here is the website:
http://busycooks.about.com/od/thanksgiving/a/cookfrozenturke.htm

In our home, Thanksgiving is all about tradition, so we must have scalloped corn and Sunshine Jello.

I will try to make the rolls this week before hand. The pie crusts will be made on Wednesday. The dressing, I'm ashamed to say, will be store-bought and boxed. It's what we like the best.

I will be doing my last minute shopping on Tuesday for dairy and produce. Tonight I will be checking the pantry and freezer for supplies.

Here is the recipe for the Fruit Salad.

Mennonite Fruit Salad
6 cups in any combination of the following: apples, pears, pineapple, nuts, marshmallows, mandrin oranges, tropical fruit salad, bananas (drain canned fruit very well)
Mix gently to combine.
Dress with following: 1 cup Cool Whip, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1 tsp. lemon juice, 2 Tb. sugar. Mix well and fold into the fruit right before serving.
It is best right away but will keep for a few days.


I hope everyone has a marvelous Monday!
Hugs
Kay

** "Talk of joy: there may be things better than beef stew
and baked potatoes and homemade bread --- there may be."
David Grayson

No comments:

Post a Comment