Sunday, November 26, 2006

Thanksgiving Shopping, Scalloped Corn Recipe and Baked Potato Soup Recipe

It is early on Tuesday. Farmer goes to work at the factory around 4:45 a.m. so I'm up then too. I'm not a morning person by any stretch of the imagination, so usually I sit here at the computer with my cup of coffee and try to wake up enough to function. It takes a while.

I need to get "woked up" as it has gotten much busier at the office. People are starting to shop for holiday gifts. I didn't move from my desk yesterday. Between the number of incoming phone calls and all the mail I had to process, I was BUSY! I wasn't able to finish all in the in-coming mail so already I know I have a full day's work ahead of me. I don't mind at all. I like working full days rather than just a few hours. And my paycheck likes it too.

Last evening we went grocery shopping for the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday. The store was very busy for a Monday. But I had a list and stuck to it. I was disappointed in the selection of organic produce this time. I also have to get past my obversion to non-organic poultry with this year's turkey. Next year I will plan ahead and get an organic one earlier in the season. I've been spoiled by the wonderful organic chickens I get locally.

I had clipped a few coupons and with our store card we saved over $9. The total was less than I had anticipated also. It is a good feeling to have the freezer, fridge, pantry and countertops filled with good food. It makes me feel cozy and safe inside.


A good read
We received the latest "The Berean Call" newsletter in the mail this week. I've included the link to the Nov. issue if anyone is interested in reading it. Dave Hunt writes about a call to repentence for the Church. I found it very thought-provoking.
http://www.thebereancall.org/Newsletter/html/2006/nov06.php


Menus
We haven't eaten many meals here at home in the past few days, with the weddings and last night's shopping trip to the city. I did cook on Sunday evening. I made a pot of our ultimate comfort food, "Baked Potato Soup". YUM! Very rich, very filling and very good.

Baked Potato Soup
2/3 cup butter (the real stuff)
2/3 cup flour
7 cups milk
6 scallions, chopped
4 cups, baked, peeled and diced potatoes (I zap them in the mw while the bacon is cooking in the oven-see below)
1 cup sour cream
1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
12 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (I bake it on a rack over a sided baking sheet, 350 for 30+ min, until crisp. While it is baking I zap the potatoes and start the soup.)

Melt the butter in a large pot. Add the flour and cook stirring, over medium to medium-high heat, to make a roux. Add the milk in 2 cup portions (just eyeball it), stir each addition and cook until thickens. After the last addition of milk has been added and heated, add the scallions and diced potatoes. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 min. Watch closely as the bottom will scorch if not stirred enough. Lower heat to medium-low. Add cheese and stir until melted. Add sour cream and stir to combine. Right before serving, stir in the bacon. (or add bacon as garnish to bowls)
Serves 4-8 depending on bowl sizes and appetites.

Becky asked for my Scalloped Corn recipe. This came from my maternal grandma. It was not a holiday meal at her house without it or Liver Dumplings. I'll save that story for another time.

Scalloped Corn
1 can cream-style corn
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 tsp sugar
1 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten slightly
2 Tb. butter, melted
1 cup crushed soda crackers.
Combine all ingredients. Pour into greased/sprayed casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 mins. or until top is puffed and golden brown.

-----------------------------------

Tonight I plan to clean out the pantry. (dang mice anyway!) I'd like to sort out the ingredients and recipes and dishes I'll need for Thursday. Wednesday I'll make the dishes I can prepare ahead.

I hope everyone has a terrific Tuesday!

Hugs
Kay


** "Man does not live by a turkey in every oven or a color TV set in
every home. Man lives by faith and hope and love, by the star on the
horizon, by the trumpet that will not call retreat.
" -- E. Merrill Root (1895-1973) American Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment