Sunday, October 26, 2008

Fall Comfort Foods



Brrrr.......... It's definitely Autumn now. We turned the furnace on mid-week and I put an extra quilt on our bed.

With the cooler temps comes the desire for warm comfort food.
Here are two recipes I made this past week. Not only are they comforting, they also use in-season produce.

Autumn Squash Soup with Sauteed Apples


Serves 4 to 6

• 1 tablespoons olive oil
• 4 scallions, finely chopped
• 1 carrot, finely chopped
• 1 stalk celery, very finely chopped
• 3 sprigs thyme, 2 sprig rosemary, leaves removed & minced
• 3 pounds winter squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped
• 3 cups chicken stock
• Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 2 tart apples, peeled, cored, and diced
• 1 sprig thyme
• 1/2 cup heavy cream (I used evaporated milk.)
• 1 teaspoon firmly packed dark brown sugar
• Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg

1. To prepare the soup, in a large, heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-low heat until foaming. Add the scallion, carrot, and celery. Cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes.

2. Add the herbs, squash, and chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, decrease the heat to low, and simmer until the squash is tender, about 30 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, to cook the apples, in a skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Add the diced apple and remaining sprig of thyme; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the apple is tender and lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.

4. In the Dutch oven, using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Or ladle the soup into a blender and puree until smooth a little at a time. Leave it coarse and chunky if you prefer a more rustic soup or puree until smooth for a more elegant soup. Add the cream, brown sugar, and nutmeg. Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper.

5. To serve, ladle into warm bowls and garnish with the sautéed apples.

(Note: I had a bowl 2 days later and I think it was even better.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pear Brownies
  • 2 unpeeled Pears, grated (about 2 cups)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 Tb. butter, melted
  • 3/4 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp rum flavoring (or 1 tsp. vanilla total)
  • 1/2 c. flour
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp. allspice
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 c. dark raisins (optional)
  • 1/4 c. chopped walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 9" baking pan with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl combine the grated apples, eggs, sugar, melted butter and vanilla.
In a small bowl, combine the flour and spices. Mix well. Add raisins and nuts. Add flour mixture to apple mixture. Stir until just combined. Spread batter in prepared pan.
Bake for 30-35 mins or until tests done. Cool pan on rack.
Serve warm with ice cream or cool alone w/ dusting of cinnamon sugar.

=================================================================

I hope you all find a way to celebrate the season with something warm and comforting.

Next time I hope to share with you some fun vintage wins from Friday's estate auction. Fun, fun, fun stuff!
And also I want to share the almost-completed table runner I'm quilting.
(I need alot more practice on my free motion machine quilting. OMStars! Free Smiley Courtesy of www.millan.net)


Have a wonderful week everyone!
HUGS!
Kay~
~~"Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie." ~Jim Davis

2 comments:

  1. These recipes look yummy! I may make them this weekend. I hope you get to spend some time in your sewing room soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi~Just out blog hopping and I found my way here. I am glad I did...I am a farmers wife and I enjoy reading other farm blogs! My husband is Czech so we know all about kolaches. My Mom was the judge several times at the Czech fest in Wilbur. Hope you will stop in and visit me sometime and make sure you let me know you were there.

    ReplyDelete