Thursday, February 25, 2010

Update on the quiche and new calves

In January we experienced some Sundogs, which predict colder weather. We got that too.
Sundogs are mini-rainbow effects on either side of the setting or rising sun
and are created by sunlight reflecting off ice crystals in the atmosphere.




I wrote a few days ago, " Found a recipe for Quiche HERE and it sounds soooo good. Zoomie's posts almost always make me hungry! lol I need something quick for breakfasts as I've been doing with a protein bar and a piece of cheese lately. So since Blue-eyed One will enjoy his French toast, I think I'll see what I can find to make individual quiches in muffin tins. I know I have some asparagus in the fridge, some garlic cheese curds and bacon. I don't need crust, unless I'd line the cups with some olive oil brushed tortillas? I'll let you know..."

I took Zoomie's basic recipe but since I was making a 2 small pyrex dishes instead of a 9" pie plate, I decreased her amounts by 1/3 (4 eggs instead of 6, etc...). Also, I didn't make or use anything for a crust. It was fine without it.

Her recipe called for Parmesan and Swiss or Gruyére cheese. I had the Parmesan and some locally-made garlic cheese curds. Those I crumbled using my Handi-chopper.

Instead of her half-n-half, I used 1% milk and instead of kefir, I used regular sour cream.

For the filling ingredients, she used onion, mushrooms, Swiss chard, salami. I used onion, some rehydrated mushroom, some jarred roasted red peppers, a few chopped "good" ripe olives and mini pepperoni. I had some asparagus, but I just roasted those and ate it alongside.
I also added some of my homegrown dried basil and a tiny pinch of red pepper flakes.

I sauted the onions, added the mushrooms and their soaking liquid and let it all reduce down to very syrupy. I sprayed the 2 pyrex (about 1.5 c capacity). Put the cheeses in the bottom, added the filling ingredients. Mixed the eggs, milk and sour cream together with the basil & poured it over the filling.

I baked these on a small rimmed baking sheet at 350° for 30 mins, until they tested done with a butter knife.

One of the quiches along with the asparagus and some rye toast and OJ made a wonderful dinner. I had the second one for breakfast today. It was good but a bit high-flavored for me for breakfast. It would be great for brunch as I'm a boring breakfast person. I don't really like early breakfast, but prefer it about 10 a.m.

Anyway... go on over to Zoomie's blog and try her recipe. A+


And now updating the calf count here on the Prairie Farm....

In the past 2 days we've had 5 new calves. 3 singles and another set of twins born again this afternoon. Why do twins come when the weather is frigid?? The singles are all doing super fine, but one of the twins is not doing so well. A bit limp and weak. We got some colostrum from the nearby dairy and irrigated her. She raised her head after that. We think Mama may have lost count of who she all had or this one got away from her being tipsy after birth and she thought the other one was this one.... who knows....

It was a crazy afternoon. Helping the Blue-eyed Farmer as he tried to figure out the bad wiring on the cattle trailer and ending up taking that into our auto repair shop in town. I had to go get him since he left the pickup there so they could change out the connection plug.

Home to find the twin calf emergency and dealing with getting them up to the barn, feeding, getting hay for everyone else and regular chores.

By the time we got in the house, it was 7:30 and I was chilled to the bone. Supper tonight was whatever we could find in the fridge. It ended up being leftover bacon, toast, salad and chips.

Tomorrow if the trailer is fixed, we'll be taking 3 older cows to the sale barn. And checking on the new family every 3-4 hours. Probably more feedings. B-E F is taking tomorrow off from the factory to take care of all these extra responsibilities since I'll be going to work.

I'll be thrilled if the sun shines and the temperature is suppose to warm up starting tomorrow! And there is that Flea Market to look forward to this weekend!

And now I'm heading for the shower and my warm bed. Night All!

Hugs!
Kay~

** I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

1 comment:

  1. "And there is that Flea Market to look forward to this weekend!"
    What flea market are you going to? We're thinking of going to the one here in Lincoln at the event center.

    ReplyDelete