Monday, May 10, 2010

Ideas on decorating the patio

It's been a rainy Monday Dear Friends.

And I've been ruminating on my blah & boring patio the past few days. You see, I have this boring, blank gray concrete wall. It looks like this:

This is actually the southern wall and I'm trying to start hollyhocks in front of it. The mess of green was last year's "garden". This year's looks much better. More tamed and less weedy.

Anyway, there is a similar wall way to the right (north) of the windows that faces the patio. It's just as blank and gray and boring as the one above. And what's worse, it is part of the patio, so we see it every time we are out there. Sometimes the gas grill is up against it but that's not a great sight either.

So, I've been thinking and brain-storming on what I could put out there to improve the view. Last year I had a large Mandevilla vine climbing up that wall. But the poor plant winter killed on our sunny but cold back porch.

I decided I wanted more than just a flowering vine there this year. I thought about painting the wall but don't want to deal with any peeling paint in a year or so. (Anyone ever paint a southern exposed concrete wall? Let's chat.)

I've been seeing old painted window frames in some of my favorite blogs. And I know we have at least one or two windows in the sheds. I mentally added the vines, the window frames and then thought of etched glass.

Below are some of the brain-storming components I have spinning around in my head.

Painted Frames

Etched Vines




Old windows hanging on a wall

More etched glass




More painted frames





The canning jar flower holders for another splash of color on either side of the window. I'm still mulling that one over....

This is the idea I had for the morning glory or cardinal vine planter that would be placed under the window. But now I'm not sure if the ropes the vines would twine up should go behind the window frame or in front. Sort of like a living curtain? Thoughts?


And then while we're prettying up the place, why not a white gate and wreath for the compost enclosure. (Which I cannot show you because the wind knocked it down Saturday. So much for my construction skills. LOL I just need to pound in some support posts and wire it securely. I knew that, but hoped it would stand for a few days.)



Oh the ideas I have..... I can't wait to implement them. :o)

Hugs
Kay~

** "I am not bound for any public place, but for ground of my own where I have planted vines and orchard trees…" ~Wendell Berry

4 comments:

  1. My first thought was to paint the gray walls a bright blue - in a couple of years it will look "vintage". :o) I love the window idea and would have the vine go around the window instead of in front or behind. My favorite thing, though is the hanging canning jar - can be used as a vase or a candle holder. Can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite thing to grow vines on is welded together antique steel wheels off of old machinery. I even have an arbor made with them and an old single wrought iron bed headboard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I likek your site. I'm going to follow. I'm short on time but I want to come back ...I have hollyhocks and would be glad to send you some seed. They just explode after tghe first year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kay,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day!
    I think old windows hung on the wall of your house outside would look really nice! You could even put a "window" box planter underneath!
    I planted Hollyhocks last year and they didn't do too well.....this year some are coming back on their own....we shall see.......
    I think the canning jar hanging is really sweet too!

    ReplyDelete