Friday, March 25, 2011

Our "Brief 2-day Spring"

Good Morning Puffins.... technically it's morning as it was at 3:45 a.m. both yesterday and today.  Farmer-dear is working some over-time at the factory, so we all get up then... him, me and the cattle.  I don't mind quite as much in the summer as it is dawn about then, but in March, after daylight savings time has started (Way too early IMHO!), it's DARK!   But it is morning so we'll just get on with it...


Remember a few days ago when I mentioned the Blue-eyed One had the tractor and disk out for oats sowing?  I remember it well, for it was our 2-day Spring.  Here, let me show you how we spent it....



We had a thunderstorm complete with HAIL!  Those white blurs are more hail stones falling.   The hail ranged from quarter to pea-size .

This was a marble-sized hail stone outside the front porch.  If you look closely you can see a few pea-sized.


But shortly after that brief storm, the sun came out!  I hung jeans on the clothes line in the breeze and Farmer-dear did this...

Opening the drill boxes.

Reading the settings for oats.  (Notice the glorious sunshine on the hills.)

Pouring in the oats seed.  This was the last bag.  I helped by lifting the bags onto the walkboard. (I'm sure there is a technical term for that, but I don't know what it is.  I should ask Mr. Thinker.  )

Dumping out the last bits, as this was rather pricey seed!  And then off he went behind the hill until way after dark.  He was pleased he got finished and used all the seed.  

These "beauties" will have feed this winter.  We have a variety of colors in our lot now.  From pure white calves to these  funny brownish ones to dirt-colored ones.  Most of the Mommas are black, with a few brown and one white.  The Bull, Amos, is a white Charolais. 

Hello, Inquisitive.


And then it turned cooler (ok, cold) and Winter came barreling in for another round of rotten weather.  **sigh~**  To keep my spirits up, I went to the Thrift Store and found some bargains.


A gardening book, (the Farm Animal Ailment book is for Farmer-dear... I just don't want to know about any of that!), a Grace Livingston Hill book and an audio book for my sewing room.  Some serger thread.  I only got one spool to see if it will work for piecing quilts or if is too thick.  Some greeting cards.  And music cds.   

This morning (yes, I could see it in the dark) we awoke to snow on the ground, snow coming down and more in the forecast.   **bigger sigh~~**   On the bright side, we also had 2 new calves in the last 24 hours.  All is well with them and their mothers.  We are past the half-way mark on calving.  YAY!


I believe I'll be home today and while I should do some bookwork, I think it will more cozy to do my Bible Study, read more chapterz for our church's Bible Reading Challenge and then see how  many pinwheel blocks I can sew.  Also feeling like sewing some small giftie-type items like bags and tissue holders.  Both the laundry and dishes are caught up and it will only take a short amount of time to do the rest of the dailies.  


Final question... Chocolate Chip Cookies or Brownies?  


I hope Spring is firmly in place wherever you are (unless you are in the Southern Hemisphere, then I hope you are having a nice long, beautiful Autumn.)


Hugs!
K~

** "Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine."  ~Anthony J. D'Angelo

1 comment:

  1. Brownies with those teeny reese's cups in them. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete